Monday, January 7, 2013

Thanksgiving Camping Trip

 We (my family, Nancy and her family, Dad and sometimes Mom, Lynn and Gary Smith and several of their kids with their families) went camping for Thanksgiving weekend.  It was very fun indeed.  We went to go check out the place where we would be doing the trek.  So it was a trek preview (or actually a trek preview preview because we went camping there the weekend after Thanksgiving as Ma's and Pa's to give it a test run).  The kids had an absolute ball.  The kids loved the fire, the dirt, and the freedom.  I loved being there with family and friends. 
 My camping buddy

 Kelsey slept through the first night better than she did at home and then took a morning nap that was over 3 hours long.  She never does that at home.  I had to check to be sure she was still alive.
 The kids LOVED the dirt.  It was hard dirt when we got there, but after walking around on it all morning it broke the surface and turned to powder and flew everywhere.  ALL.  DAY.  LONG.  That was my only real complaint.
 Cute cowgirls Lauren, Kate, and Autumn.
 

 Having fun with Nancy, the camera, and the "outhouse".  Nancy fashioned this sheet to go around the toilet.  She is a genius.
 There were horses the kids got to ride.

 This is what the dirt looked like when we showed up.  I love it when it looks like this.  It reminds me of where I grew up.  I saw dirt like this sometimes.
 Who says we don't get to go sledding?  We just sled on dirt hills instead of snow covered hills.  Much less clothing is required. 

 Papa brought Nana's canning pot and we bathed the kids in it.  There was a hot springs next to our camp that pumped the water out at a nice warm temp.  The boys LOVED it and it was so funny to get pictures of them.  They stayed clean for maybe 30 whole minutes.  Maybe.


 Tanner and his cousin Isaac (or Ike to us).  They are less than a month apart.
 Love this one of Ike chillin'
 And we're dirty again.  See the powder he is playing with?  It was a couple of inches thick by the time we left.  It made Thanksgiving dinner a little gritty.  Dinner was delicious.  We pit roasted a turkey and potatoes.  Everyone brought sides and pies.  Mom brought her jello salad that I wait all year for.  It was far more Thanksgivingish than I thought it would be while camping.
 He was literally doing sand angels in the dirt.  He always stopped as I grabbed my camera.  I was so sad I didn't get a picture of it.
Cousin  Austen and Kelsey in the wagon
Yep, it's the end of November and he is barefoot.  I love it here!

No comments: