Thursday, January 31, 2013

Say a Little Prayer

Obviously, being active members of the church, we pray regularly in our home.  Unfortunately, it is rarely a very reverent thing.  The kids are wiggly, they poke each other, talk, tattle...you get the picture.  I feel like I have failed as a mother seeing as they don't value prayer like I think they should.  It really makes me so sad every time we kneel down to pray and the kids can't get through it without being naughty.  But, there still may be hope for my little ones. 
On Sunday I joined my family in a fast for my cousin.  She was having some serious complications in a long awaited pregnancy.  I was explaining to my kids why I was fasting when it wasn't a fast Sunday.  My 6 year old, Katelyn, came up to me and said, "Mom, I'm going to fast lunch for your cousin."  She walked away and I thought how sweet that was of her to do.  She came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and said, "I just went into the living room and said a prayer for your cousin that her baby would be okay."  I got a little teary-eyed and hugged her.
Yesterday, Nathaniel's scooter was having some problems so I dropped him off at work with his bike so he could ride home after work.  When Nathaniel opened the side door to get his backpack out he saw Nathan in the back seat with his eyes shut and mumbling.  Nathaniel laughed and asked what he was doing.  Nathan said, "I was saying a prayer for you that you will ride your bike safely home to us."  Sweetest thing that he has ever done. 

So maybe we haven't failed after all.

No comments: