Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

I kept up the tradition my mom had when we were growing up. I made big sugar cookies for the holiday. My mom made ours bigger than this growing up. I remember I would get off of the bus and run all of the way home on Valentine's day because I knew what awaited me at home. I LOVED Valentine's day. Wonder why...
Nathan never wears clothes and I don't really fight that battle more than I have to, so in many pictures, he's naked.
(I have a similar battle with the girls and doing their hair.) We made the cookies Sunday morning before church. Something I will not do again next year. The kids threw the candy decorations on their cookies and were trying to eat them within seconds. I had to stop them to get pictures. They were bouncing off the walls at church.
This is Nathan's cookie 5 minutes after he finished decorating it. The rule is that you can eat your cookie whenever you want, as much as you want. Nathan loved that rule. You never saw the boy without a bit of it in his hand. When his was gone, he went for the extra little cookies that were on the counter. He didn't know that those were not free game like his big cookie. I had to set him straight. I mean, there has to be some end to the sugar. Two-year-olds don't have that switch that says, "I think I'm done now". They just start burping up frosting all night.
Monday Eliza stayed home from school sick. She missed her first school Valentine's party. I don't think she minded. She got to lay in my bed and watch PBS all morning. That's a dream come true for her.
The older I get the more I realize my mother's greatness, her patience, her kindness. After vacuuming twice and sweeping up the kitchen 3 times before 11 a.m. I was not loving the Valentine's cookies as much. I'm sure my mother hated the mess as well, but yet every year, she made them again for us. She really is the best mom there ever was, EVER! I love her and I thank her for the traditions she started, the patience she had for us, and for never making us feel like we were a burden on her. That's a lot to say for a lady with 10 kids. I can't even say that about myself and I only have 4. You're amazing mom!

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Thanks, Tennille. What's amazing to me is how love grows. I love each of you ten children and you would thinkg that would deplete a lifetime supply of love. But when I look at my children's children, I love them so deeply that it defies explanation! You girls each do so much as mothers and wives that I am enormously proud of you and if I had even a small part of who you have become, that is a great blessing to me.