Saturday, July 3, 2010

Warned But Not Prepared

I knew this was coming from the start and yet I was not ready this. Our house has been on the market for two and a half months and we have had no offers. We knew the market was flooded and it would take a little time to sell, but I am exhausted trying to keep up a house with my four little rugrats. Overall the house is clean, but it is draining to never get a chance to relax without feeling guilty for not doing more. There is always something more to be done. More scrubbing, dusting, mopping, washing dishes, etc. A dishwasher would help to at least hide the unwashed dishes. One time when someone came to look at the house it was on a day that I had decided I would relax a little and not worry about the house being perfect. Well, sure enough, I got a call and they wanted to be there in 20 minutes and I had just finished washing Nathan up from lunch and the kitchen/dining room was a mess. I ended up loading my dirty dishes in a garbage bag and putting it in my van so I didn't have to worry about washing them. I focused instead on wiping counters and mopping. So much for the one hour courtesy call...that NEVER happens. The calls usually go something like this, "Oh, I just noticed I was supposed to call you beforehand. We are just turning onto your street, is now a good time?" Ummm, I have four kids that I'm still trying to allow to be kids and so they do tend to make messes. Although I mop at least once a day, it is still not enough, especially if you have met Nathan. And Kate is going through this paper tearing phase which is loads of fun. "Rest time" usually consists of the girls going into their room to stay out of my way while I run around the house sweeping, mopping, doing dishes, wiping counters, laundry, bathrooms, garbages, etc. And before you thing ill of my husband for not helping me more, realize that the bar is the end of this month and that his life is devoted to passing it. As it should be. This is important for the whole family. His job is studying and mine is the house. As long as we can get through this month we will be able to breath again.
Another fun obstacle is the joyous Arizona summer heat. I was driving to the chiropractor at 5:20 the other day and it was 114 degrees outside. On Friday on my way home from running it was 6:42 a.m. and 90 degrees already. That is just ridiculous! It makes it unbearable to go out and play anywhere without dying. So there isn't any escape from my house. Like I said, I knew all of this was coming. Summer always comes after Spring, no surprise there. I've survived other Arizona summers. Granted I had fewer kids and it was easier to get out and about. I knew when we moved to Arizona that we would be moving the summer of 2010 and here we are. I had never sold a home before though and we had no idea that the market was going to crash and that we would lose money on our house. Such is life. People had warned us that when you are studying for the bar you get so stressed out you become a different person. What I didn't realize was how hard it would be for the wife of the person studying for the bar. He is trying so hard to fulfill all of his obligations to his calling, his family, and his studies. He is doing great and hardly complains a bit, but I know it is wearing on him. Soon enough this will all be over...at least that's what I keep telling myself. I recall a few months ago Laurel said something like, "I dread the next few months for you. I'm stressed out and it's not even me that has to deal with it." I said, "Oh it'll be fine. We'll just take it one day at a time." What I didn't realize was that sometimes it isn't even a day at a time, it is an hour at a time. Either way, it has to come to an end, right? Please tell me there is an end...

2 comments:

The Santini Stew said...

Summer of George- come BACK!!!

Joanna said...

There will be an end, hang in there sweetie!